COVID-19 should not obstruct Criminal Justice; Health Commissioner – Dr Edu
Since March 2020 Criminal Justice in the State has suffered some set back as the Correctional Service has been unable to admit new inmates into the facility. This was occasioned by the COVID-19 Pandemic as management of the Correctional center did not want a COVID-19 out break in the facility which might follow the introduction of a positive case into the facility which didn’t have an Isolation center.
The fight against COVID-19 to ensure that cross riverians both old and young remain safe continues as the Cross River State Government through the Ministry of Health has successfully set up an Isolation Center amidst other necessary palliative supports in Afokang Prisons to check the health status of both the old inmates and the ones to be sent for custody to curtail the random spread of the virus from any infected inmate or intending inmate to another.
Speaking during a courtesy visit by the new Comptroller Compt. Dankaro Thomas commended the CRSG under the watch of Sen Prof Ben Ayade for doing exceedingly well to curtail the spread of the virus that has made the State gain both National and International recognition being the last State to have recorded a case in Nigeria and presently having a very low number of confirmed cases.
“I wish to express my sincere appreciation to the State Governor Sen Prof Ben Ayade for his wonderful achievements in the Health Sector, especially on the COVID-19 pandemic response, he showed his intellectual ability again by appointing a youthful, vibrant, highly intellectual and versatile lady to handle the affairs of the health sector. Dr Edu responded to our request within one hour, this shows the State was prepared for this pandemic!.
“This pandemic has affected our criminal justice system and the Calabar Correctional Service is pleased with the swift response/support to salvage the situation as police, DSS and even the drug enforcement agencies no longer have space to hold criminals that should be at the correctional centers. on behalf of the Comptroller General Ja’afaru Ahmed I wish to appreciate the CRS Governor Sen Prof Ben Ayade as well as his Commissioner for Health Dr Betta Edu for this swift response and tremendous support within a space of an hour we made this appeal.”
Responding, the Health Commissioner Dr Betta Edu congratulated the new Comptroller by welcoming him to CRS on behalf of the CRSG while applauding him for setting the ball rolling without any waste of time. “We’re pleased as a State to have you here and on behalf of our amiable and Digital Governor of CRS Sen Prof Ben Ayade, i welcome you to CRS. I appreciate the drive you arrived with, it shows you came here to work, and you have the people at heart. In a bid to curtail the spread of this virus especially in Correctional Services knowing how important this is, the State Governor Sen Prof Ben Ayade has given a direct order that an Isolation Center be set up in Afokang Prisons and am glad that has just been done alongside other items/palliatives.
“The State Epidemiologist and her team as well as the Rapid Response Team will always be here to take samples from all those to be admitted in, while the remain at the isolation centers for 24 hours if results return negative thre can join others in the general cell, if positive then they should be moved to Isolation room 2 within the correctional service facility where they will be treated and isolated for 14 days till they become negative. Health workers must also use PPEs always when attending to new inmates to avoid contacting COVID-19 or spread of virus that could lead to outbreak and death in the facility.
In a vote of thanks, the Permanent Secretary Bar. Takon Asu thanked the Comptroller for taking the right step by coming to the CRSMOH to seek this support while assuring him and his team of continuous support and a safe stay in CRS. items donated to the Correctional Service includes; Hand Sanitizers, Infrared Thermometers, Digital Thermometers, Hospital Beds, pillow and Mattresses, side cupboards, Drip Stands, Nose Masks, Overall Jackets/Shoes, Surgical Gloves, Face Shields, Isolation gowns, bedsheets, Tissue Papers, Tooth Brush, Assorted Drugs, Tooth Pastes, Cartoons of Biscuits, etc.
- Miss Rita Bisong Wins BLU Eeagle Face of the weekOgoja Born Miss Rita Bisong emerge winner of BLU EEAGLE MEEDIA face of the week ✓✓BIO-DATA/PROFILE√NAME : Bisong Rita Nyiam√SEX: Female√STATE OF ORIGIN: Cross River State√LGA : Ogoja √LOCATION: ogoja√AGE: 24√OCCUPATION : Student nurse√RELATIONSHIP STATUS […]
- How Ngige storms out of Speaker-led ASUU/FG truce meetingThe Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige angrily left the meeting spearheaded by the Speaker of House of Representatives, Rt Hon Femi Gbajabiamila to end the crisis between the Academic Staff Union of […]
- 2023 election: ‘I’m not dead’, Tinubu tweets from LondonPresidential Candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress APC, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has dismissed speculations regarding his health status, declaring that contrary to insinuations that he was dead, he is hale and hearty. Noting […]
- National Industrial Court order, FG cautions ASUUThe Federal Government has cautioned the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over disobeying the order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria (NICN) to call off its ongoing strike. Dr Chris Ngige, the Minister […]
- UPDATE: Real Madrid drop points at home to Osasuna, surrender top spot to BarcelonaReal Madrid have dropped their first points of the season after a 1-1 draw with Osasuna at the Santiago Bernabeu on Sunday. Vinicius Junior put the host ahead in the 42nd minute with a right-footed […]
- #BBNaija S7: Fans jubilate as Phyna wins N100mFans, on Sunday, jubilated and congratulated Ijeoma Otabor, popularly known as Phyna, on emerging as the winner of the Big Brother Naija Season 7 reality TV show, dubbed Level Up. Phyna was announced the winner […]
- Nigeria @ 62; Hon Frank Ovat writes constituents1st October is a spectacular day for every citizen of Nigeria because it is the day that we commemorate our nation’s Independence. This day reminds us of the sacrifices and obstacles our forebears faced to […]
- Prof Stella Effah-Attoe Celebrates Nigeria at 62The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Woman Leader, Prof Stella Effah-Attoe celebrates Nigeria at 62 In a message made available to Newsmen, the erudite scholar and advocate of women said Freedom does not come so […]
- JUST IN: Aisha Buhari apologises to Nigerians over economic hardshipThe First Lady, Dr. Aisha Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday apologised to Nigerians over the harsh economic realities and insecurity experienced under the Buhari-led government. Speaking during the 62nd Independence Day Special Juma’at prayer and Public […]
- BREAKING NEWS: Court nullifies Oyetola’s nomination as APC Osun governorship candidateA Federal High Court, Abuja, on Friday, nullified the nomination of Governor Isiaka Oyetola of Osun as the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s candidate in the July 16 governorship election. Justice Emeka Nwite, in a judgment, […]
- Nigeria @ 62; Hon Austine Aidam JP speaks on ASUU Strike, Security and UnemploymentThe Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) House of Representatives candidate for AKAMKPA/BIASE Federal constituency, Hon Austine Aidam JP writes his constituents on the occasion of the 62ND independence day anniversary of Nigeria Hon Austine Aidam JP […]
- Nigeria police are the most shameless there is -Aisha YesufuAfter the Lagos State Police Command has vowed not to allow any form of rally at the Lekki toll gate on Saturday, October 1, 2022, Aisha Yesufu took to her verified twitter account to call […]
- BREAKING: Iyorchia Ayu returns to Nigeria after 2 weeks abroadThe PDP National Chairman, Sen. Iyorchia Ayu, on Friday returned to the country after a two-week trip to Europe. The Special Adviser to the National Chairman on Media, Mr Simon Imobo-Tswam, disclosed this in a […]